Friday, June 30, 2017

BLACK HAMMER cover and signing

Recently, I made this exclusive variant cover for Jeff Lemire and Dean Ormston's BLACK HAMMER. I had a blast doing this retro looking cover, paying homage to Kevin Maguire's iconic Justice League cover. Here you can see the idea sketch, the pencil stage, inking during two moments, the final scan and the final cover. It changed very little from sketch to final image, and mainly I changed who would have the arms crossed to better reference the Maguire cover.

Doing a Black Hammer logo with letters also similar to the Justice League logo, and adding the tagline on the top, gave this the perfect feel of something from the past of superheroes comics.

I’ll post all our San Diego schedule soon, but I’ll be signing this exclusive edition with Jeff Lemire on Friday, July 21, from 3PM to 4PM, at the Dark Horse booth.

See you there!




No comments: